The site www.thorntons.co.uk (the "Site") is the exclusive property of Thorntons Ltd("Thorntons").
The THORNTONS trademark, the products and promotional trademarks displayed on the web pages of the Site (including their logos) and all other distinctive, denominative or figurative marks and the slogans related to them (the Thorntons Trademarks) are the exclusive property of Thorntons; any use or reproduction of them for any purpose or by any means is expressly and strictly prohibited and will be prosecuted under the appropriate laws.
The web pages that constitute the site and all their content (including, for example, but not limited to: text, images, graphics, sounds) are protected by copyright owned by Thorntons or include material the use of which has been duly authorized; thus their reproduction, duplication, publication, transmission (in whole or in part) in any form or by any means is prohibited. No reproduction of the Site or any part of it may be sold or distributed for commercial purposes. The downloading of material from the Site is permitted only if it is expressly authorised by appropriate indications within the Site; the said authorization regards the use of the downloaded material for personal and non-commercial purposes, any other form of use is strictly prohibited. Nothing contained on the Site may be interpreted as granting, explicitly or implicitly, third parties the license to use Thorntons Trademarks, text, images, graphics, sounds or any other elements protected by rights as per the preceding paragraph. Any material transmitted to the Site by its Users is subject to the specific Regulations which govern the conditions under which material is sent to the Site; Users are recommended to read the Regulations thoroughly before sending any material.
Thorntons takes the greatest possible care in the selection and updating of the Site content; however, Thorntons does not accept any responsibility in the case of missing, incomplete or erroneous information of any kind. Moreover, Thorntons declines any responsibility for any damage that may result to the Users or their property as a consequence of accessing the Site, the impossibility of accessing the Site or the downloading of material from the Site, where this is permitted, including damage to Users’ computers caused by viruses.
We are Thorntons Ltd(“Thorntons,” “we,” or us”), and our Head Office is Thornton Park, Somercotes, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 4XJ. Our registered office is 889 Greenford Road, Greenford UB6 0HE. Thorntons respects your privacy and is committed to protect it during and after your visit of this site and its related mobile site (each referred to as “Site,” and collectively the “Sites”). For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 we are known as a Data Controller. We take our obligations as a Data Controller seriously and below you can find out more about how we look after your personal data. For more information on the Data Protection Act 1998 you can visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
All our contact details can be found on our website. Follow this link to our contact details.
Collection of Personal and Non-Personal Information
We collect and store certain personally identifiable information about you (such as, information which may identify you in some way; such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, screen name and/or financial information) (“PII”) through the Site only when you voluntarily submit it. We may request that you submit PII in certain instances, such as when you purchase products and services offered by us on this Site, submit comments or questions, request information, participate in a promotion, contest or sweepstakes or utilize other features or functions of this Site.
Moreover, when you connect to the Site, there is certain PII (e.g. IP address, purchase preferences, profiling features) that may include identifiers that may permit us to serve tailored ads to your device, along with technical, non-personally identifiable information which does not identify any individual (“Non-PII”, e.g. internet browser type) that may be collected and stored through the use of “cookie” technology. In addition, other parties such as advertising partners and analytics providers may collect information about your online activity over time and across the Sites. This information assists us to develop our business and provide customers with products tailored to visitors’ needs You may set your computer browser to disable cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent. If you disable cookies, we may be unable to optimize your visit to a Site and certain features on the Site may not be available.
Use of Your PII
- To respond to your questions and comments; to provide you with access to certain areas and features on a Site; and to communicate with you about your activities on a Site.
- To fulfill your requests.
- To investigate suspected fraud, harassment, physical threats, or other violations of any law, rule or regulation, the rules or policies of a Site, or the rights of third parties; or to investigate any suspected conduct which we deem improper.
- To the extent that you provide us with financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) in connection with shopping or commercial services offered on a Site, we may use the financial information that you provide to fulfill your order.
- To help us develop, deliver and improve our products, services, content and advertising.
- To share with our parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, and promotional partners involved in creating, producing, delivering, or maintaining a Site, as required to perform functions on our behalf in connection with the Site (such as administration of the Site, administration of promotions or other features on the Site, marketing, data analysis, and customer services).In order to share such information, it may be necessary for us to transmit your PII outside the jurisdiction set forth below and you agree to this transfer. Further use or disclosure of PII by these parties for other purposes is not permitted.
- To share with third party service providers whom we employ to perform functions on our behalf in connection with the Site (such functions may include, but are not limited to, order fulfillment, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data and providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service). These third party service providers have access to PII that is needed to perform their functions, and may collect or store PII as part of their performance of these functions, but are not authorized to use it for other purposes.
- For our internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services and customer communications.
- For other purposes as disclosed when your PII is collected or in any additional terms and conditions applicable to a particular feature of a Site.
- For disclosures required by law, regulation, or court order.
- For the purpose of or in connection with legal proceedings or necessary for establishing, defending, or exercising legal rights.
- In an emergency to protect the health or safety of users of a Site or the general public, or in the interests of national security.
Except as provided for herein, we will not provide any of your PII to any third parties without your specific consent.
Managing Your Personal Information
You have the ultimate control over the PII that we collect and use. You can always choose not to provide certain PII, but please keep in mind that you may not be able to use some of the features offered by a Site unless you provide us with your PII (e.g., we will not be able to fulfill your order without certain PII).
If you wish to verify, update, cancel or correct any of your PII collected through a Site, please contact us by post or by phone.
Sharing of information
The Site does not share, sell, or rent personally identifiable information with independent companies for their own use without providing you a choice. Personally identifiable information that you provide to us in the course of using our site features or requesting a product or service through this website may be gathered and stored in one or more of our corporate databases.
This Site may share personally identifiable information with subcontractors (e.g. cloud service providers). Subcontractors are restricted from using this data in any other way other than to provide these services to Thorntons and they may not share or resell this data.
Site metrics for this site may be shared with other Thorntons websites or subsidiaries or affiliates. The information shared will be aggregate data and will not include any of your personally identifiable information.
This site will disclose your personally identifiable information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Thorntons; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Thorntons and this site; or, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Thorntons, its web sites, or the public.
Protection of Children’s Privacy
Thorntons takes the protection of children’s privacy seriously. We operate the Sites in compliance with all applicable laws in the jurisdiction set forth below. We do not collect PII from any person under the age of thirteen (13). Children under thirteen (13) years of age should have a parent/ guardian’s consent before providing any personal information to a Site. If we determine upon collection that a user is under this age, we will not use or maintain his/her personal information without his/her parent/guardian’s consent. Without such consent, though, the child may not be able to participate in certain activities.
Security Practices – Retention of Data
The security of your PII is very important to us. We have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect. However, due to the inherent open nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that communications between you and us or information stored on a Site or our servers will be completely free from unauthorized access by third parties, such as hackers. Your use of a Site demonstrates your assumption of this risk. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we disclaim all liability and responsibility for any damages (including, but not limited to, any and all direct, special, indirect, consequential, or punitive loss or other damages of any kind, whether in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise) that you may suffer due to any loss, unauthorized access, misuse, or alteration of any information you submit to a Site. We retain information that we collect as long as it is necessary and relevant for the purposes of collection unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Transfer of Assets
During the course of our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires Thorntons or all or substantially all of our assets, PII and Non-PII that we have collected about the users of the Sites may be transferred to such entity. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be sold or transferred to third parties.
They are designed to hold a small amount of data specific to the Thorntons website, and can be accessed either by computer or handheld device such as a smart phone or tablet. The cookies on this website enable you to shop online with us and this is why they are essential.
In May 2011, the rules about information (including cookies) being stored on your computer or accessed by our websites, changed. We are required to ask your permission to use this technology where its use is not strictly necessary to provide web services requested by you.
For further information please visit:
What Cookies Are Used For
Cookies are a convenient way to carry information from one session on a website to another. Storing the data on our server without using cookies would cause problems because it would be difficult to retrieve a particular user's information without requiring a login on each visit to our website.
- For technical purposes essential to effective operation of website in relation to transactions that are made online.
- To allow Thorntons to collect information about the browsing and shopping activities of our customers so we can improve their customer journeys.
- To ensure Thorntons meets its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from another website that is run by these third parties.
Can i disable cookies?
Yes, you can disable cookies by changing your web browser settings to reject cookies. Below is a short tutorial from which you can reject cookies in your web browser, easy as 1, 2, 3:
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu "tools" from the top bar, above or below the address bar, depending which version you are using
- Click on "Internet Options" at the very bottom of this new tab Privacy and Security
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu "tools" from the top bar, above or below the address bar, depending which version you are using
- Click on "Internet Options" at the very bottom of this new tab
- Click on the tab "privacy"
- Select the appropriate setting for how you would like cookies to act on the Thorntons website
Why we would like some information about you
When you register on www.thorntons.co.uk, we ask for your full name and email address so we can contact you with our great chocolate offers and competitions. If you don’t want to receive these and other money off offers and competitions, it’s a simple process to say ‘no thanks. See the next section.
When you place an order for any product you first create a new user account at Thorntons.co.uk, we then collect your credit card billing address, credit card information, and telephone number, as well as the address details of the lucky person who’s about to receive your gift. We use this information to process your order and, if necessary, to contact you about your order.
Sometimes we ask for a little more information from you to make sure we only send offers that are relevant and really interesting to you. When its personal, it can be fun; you may be a secret treacle toffee fanatic, but not really like fudge, so we’ll try to make sure you only receive our stickiest, toffeeist emails!
You can always ask us what information we hold about you. Please contact us on 44 (0) 845 121 1911 if you wish to enquire about the data we hold and we’d be very happy to send this through to you. Remember there is a small fee. For more information on your rights, visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
‘No thanks, I don’t want to be contacted for promotional purposes’
We want you to be comfortable with how, when and why we contact you. It’s simple to choose. How would you like to tell us your preferences?
- Online: simply visit the Email Preferences page within My Account.
- By post or by phone contact info
Other things you may want to know:
- Purchase History
- What is an IP address and how does Thorntons use them?
- Are my personal messages private when I purchase gifts?
- What’s profiling?
- Opting-in to emails
- Does Thorntons ensure the privacy practices of other sites to which it provides links?
- What are ‘cookies’?
A record is kept of your purchases. Your previous orders may be used to present you with the most relevant products and gift ideas and to provide you with a better overall user experience.
An IP address is a number that is assigned to your computer when connected to the Internet. The servers that serve our website automatically identify your computer by its IP address. This is used exclusively to highlight orders that appear abnormal, (e.g. multiple credit card numbers being used) in order to identify the source of fraudulent orders.
When you add a personal message to an order, your message will be printed on a gift card that is part of the dispatch stationery. This is positioned so the message cannot be read during transit.
In order to develop our business, we use some of the collected data including recipient details to profile you and your order profile. This data is used to improve our service to you and identify new customers who we should be marketing to. This involves passing information onto selected third party companies.
To process your order on the Thorntons.co.uk site, we gather electronic mail information from you which we will use to send marketing communications from Thorntons (for example, text messages, emails and catalogues). Should you wish to opt-out at any time, simply call 0845 121 1911 or visit our self-service unsubscribe webpage.
While we carefully select the websites to which we link, we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these websites.
We do not disclose your information to third parties for marketing purposes. We do share information with some companies, but they act for us under contract and must not use your information for any purpose that we have not agreed here.
Thorntons reserves the right to co-operate with law enforcement officials in the investigation of alleged unlawful activities of our customers or relating to our customers. We will have no legal liability for such disclosures.